Special Educational Needs

School Information Report

What do we mean by Special Educational Needs?
At Hardwick and Cambourne Community Primary School we are highly committed to creating a stimulating learning experience that is inclusive of all children. We want every child to reach their full potential and emerge from school with a life-long love of learning.

Universal Provision

We provide all children with the opportunity to make good progress by making reasonable adaptations to the curriculum, taking into account different needs and abilities. This is called ‘differentiation’, and it is normal within a classroom to have different levels of work going on at the same time. At the heart of this is ‘Quality First Teaching’, and each child, from Year 1 upwards,  will have individual targets that they are working towards, which are clearly stated in their Learning Journals.

Targeted Support

From time to time a child may fall behind or stop progressing, for a variety of reasons. If this happens, we will offer ‘targeted support’ which is often in the form of a group catch-up programme or intervention led by an adult for a specific length of time. It could also be in the form of specific resources that a child is given to use. The results of these interventions are carefully monitored to ensure that progress is being made. This is all part of normal classroom practice, and everything is recorded on our ‘Provision Map’ which helps us to keep track of who is doing what and when they did it. If the intervention works, then the child will close the gap and return to making progress. If, despite interventions and targeted support, there is still a significant gap, then we move to the next level of support.

Special Support and Special Educational Needs

This is what we call the support given to a child who needs highly personalised support or a heavily adapted curriculum. This could be because of profound and sustained learning difficulties, behaviour or emotional issues or a disability. The result is that the child will have an Additional Support Plan (ASP) with very specific short-term targets that are set and reviewed three times a year with the child, if possible, and certainly with the parents. We also record the fact that the child has a ASP which the children know as their ‘Learning Passport’ on our ‘Special Needs Register’.

There are 3 levels of need:

Additional Support

This is where all of the support, advice, tracking, resources, etc. are provided by the school. The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) will be actively involved in supporting the class teacher and providing advice.

Additional Support Plus

The school will ask for outside agencies to help structure a programme of support for the child which will then be delivered by the school. This could include Educational Psychologists, Specialist Support Teachers, Speech and Language Therapists, etc. Outside agencies may also work with the child occasionally.

Education and Healthcare Plan (EHCP)

A very, very small number of children have needs that require significant and sustained advice and support from outside agencies, as well as needing a very high level of adult support. In these cases, the school will ask for a Statutory Assessment and if the county panel agree that the needs meet their threshold, they will issue an Education and Healthcare Plan. (The plan will come with additional monetary support that is partly funded by the school and partly by county. How this is spent will be discussed with the school, the child and the parents, keeping in mind the long term needs and wishes of the child.)

How does the school know if my child needs extra help?
At Hardwick and Cambourne Community Primary School  we have a number of methods to help us identify children that need extra help or may have special educational needs. These include:

•Information from your child’s pre-school or previous school
•Class teacher visits to your child’s feeder pre- school
•Information from other services who have worked with your child (e.g. Speech and Language Therapists)
•Ongoing teacher assessments during lessons and formal assessments
•Using Target Tracker data (our whole-school progress tracking system)

This information will be used to ensure that we meet any additional needs your child may have. Once your child is in school, we will monitor your child’s progress and development. Where relevant, we may ask other professionals to give advice and support.

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

If you have any concerns about your child please speak to your child’s class teacher. Your concerns will always be taken seriously and your views are important to us. You can also contact the SENCo either via the school office or on the contact details below.

Hardwick Campus:  Mrs Leila Coe – email: lcoe@hardwick.cambs.sch.uk

Cambourne Campus: Mrs Jemma Hoban – email: jharnwell@hardwick.cambs.sch.uk

If the school agrees that your child has special educational needs your child will be placed on the school’s SEN Register. There will be an initial meeting with parent, child, class teacher and SENCo where individual targets will be set and interventions planned to help support your child both in school and at home. We value the views of parents and children when writing the plans and will talk to you about how you can help support your child at home.

How will school staff support my child?

•Initially your child’s needs will be met within the class, supported by high quality teaching, including lesson planning that takes account of the needs of your child.
•Where a gap in learning is identified your child may have additional support outside of normal lessons in a small group or 1:1. These interventions are carefully matched to the needs of individual children and are used to help both children with SEN and those who need a ‘catch up’
•The progress of all children is regularly monitored by the class teacher and also the senior leadership team
•If your child has an Additional Support Plan (Learning Passport) the class teacher will set individual targets for your child. Additional Support Plan targets are set and reviewed three times a year in consultation with the child, parents and with advice from the SENCo.
•In some cases children will follow an individualised programme of study that is matched to their needs.
•If your child has an ECHP and has an assigned teaching assistant, they will make sure that they liaise regularly with you to communicate your child’s progress.
•Where necessary the school may seek support from outside services. This will be discussed with you and a referral made with your permission.
•The governing body is responsible for ensuring that funding is used appropriately, and for monitoring teaching and accessibility. There is a designated SEN Governor who works with the school’s SENCos.
If your child has a physical disability or medical needs please click on the links below to find a copy of our:
Accessibility 2014

Equality Act Information

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

•Lessons are pitched appropriately so that all children can learn and make progress.
•Teachers take account of the needs of all the children in their class and plan different tasks and materials appropriately.
•We plan a stimulating and rich curriculum with topics that excite and engage children.
•Where appropriate, and to aid motivation, activities and learning can be linked to a child’s personal interests.
•We want every child to have a sense of achievement so use a variety of methods for children to demonstrate their understanding and learning.
•Where other professionals are involved, for example speech therapist or physiotherapists, we will use their advice and suggestions to support your child’s development.
•For some children we may develop a personalised programme of activities to meet their individual needs.

How will the school and I know how my child is doing?

•Teachers will assess children on a regular basis using both informal and formal methods and will discuss progress at parent consultations in October & February.
•We are happy to speak to you about your child at other times. Please contact your class teacher to arrange a mutually convenient time.
•If your child is receiving an intervention, their progress will be tracked and monitored.
•If your child is on the SEN Register and has an Additional Support Plan, then you will have three meetings a year to discuss how your child is progressing towards his/her targets.
•Each child has a ‘Learning Journal’ where their progress is monitored regularly. Children use these in lessons and you have the opportunity to view them at regular points throughout the year.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

Support we can provide in school may include:
•Sports Skills & Sensory Circuits groups
•Social skills and friendship support groups
•Pupil mentoring
•Giving pupils a ‘voice’ – representing pupils’ views through the school council, ethics council and also the pupil governor
•Personalised behaviour programmes including rewards and sanctions
•Medicines which can be administered in school with signed parental permission.
•There are nominated first aiders at school including those with paediatric first aid qualifications. If your child has significant medical needs we will arrange a meeting to discuss your child’s needs and how we can support them in school. We may need to draw up a Health Care Plan.

More information about how we support and help to develop your child’s emotional and social well-being can be found in the policies below.

Anti-bullying Policy 2014

Positive behaviour policy

How do you support my child when they move classes or schools?

Admission to the school

The school’s admission arrangements are made in accordance with the School Admissions Code, which ensures that school places are allocated in an open and fair way. Therefore any child with disability or SEN will not be discriminated against in any way.

Moving through the school

In the summer term before your child changes class
•All children will visit their new year groups twice at least one of which is where they meet their new teacher
•Your child’s current class teacher will discuss your child’s needs with the new teacher and if desired parents can be involved in this meeting
•Some child who need additional support with transition will have more opportunities to become familiar with the new classroom environment and class teacher
•Individual transition arrangements can be made to help support children with specific needs

Moving to secondary school

If your child is attending our local secondary schools, Comberton Village College or Cambourne Village College, transition arrangements start in Year 6.  These include:
•Evening visits for parents and children in the autumn term
•Secondary school teachers visit to meet the children
•Two visits in the summer term where they meet other children in their form and some of their new teachers
•Children with additional needs may be part of a transition group to help support their transition – this will be planned between the staff at both schools
•Teachers meet with staff at secondary school to talk through children with additional needs

There are evening visits to the schools in the autumn term, teachers from the secondary school often visit throughout the year, and there are two days in the summer term where children visit in their new form groups.

What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the school?

We currently have teachers and teaching assistants who have had training in the following areas:
•Speech therapy
•Autistic Spectrum Disorder
•Sensory Circuits & Sports Skills

We are able to access support from other services, for example;
•Educational Psychology Service
•Specialist Teaching Team
•Speech Therapy Services
•School Nurse
•Occupational Therapy
•CREDS – Cambridgeshire Race Equality & Diversity Service

Additional Information can be found in:


Information on the local offer